Mountaitn #3

Mountaitn #3
8 x 10 acrylic on stretched linen canvas

Friday, February 22, 2019

Tree Down the Street 2
8x10 acrylic on Bavarian Linen panel
Buy it at: https://www.dailypaintworks.com/artists/gregory-cross-8940

Finally got to finish this one, I started it 4 days ago but had some other obligations take up the next two days. I like to paint in the morning when the light through the south facing window is bright but not falling on the easel. Later in the day, the light comes through a Venetian blind and you get all of the alternating lines of dark and light. So, if I have something to do in the morning, I usually wait until the next day to work on a painting; unless I am painting my "doodles" (practice paintings) but even then I prefer the morning or just after noon.

Anyway, this painting is of a tree in a park not far from my house. I took the reference photo on a December afternoon and, since the tree is a Colorado Ash, all the leaves were gone. We have a lot of Colorado Ash trees here in San Antonio. I have two in my yard. I originally had six but these are not long lived trees and I had to remove four over the years before they fell onto my house. Or worse, the neighbors'.

No comments:

Post a Comment