Mountaitn #3

Mountaitn #3
8 x 10 acrylic on stretched linen canvas

Monday, April 8, 2019

Mountain #4
11x14 acrylic on Belgian linen over wood panel
Buy it at:https://www.dailypaintworks.com/Artists/gregory-cross-8940
This was the most frustrating painting I've done in awhile. First, I made a mistake mixing greys and ended up with muddy green. Silly, aggravating mistake, but what can I say. Anyway, I started the painting with an under-painting using raw umber and then painted the sky in almost to the bottom. Once I finally got the colors I wanted, or there about, I painted in the various mountains, going back over them a couple of times as the painting developed. I opted for a rather loose, impressionist approach to the foreground using alizarin crimson and some of the green mud I had made earlier. My intent was to make the majority of the painting mid-range values with the main peak's light value snow over the dark value rock developing a nice contrast for the focal point. I did achieve that, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment