Mountaitn #3

Mountaitn #3
8 x 10 acrylic on stretched linen canvas

Monday, October 22, 2018

Shallow Lake
9x12 acrylic on canvas pad
Today's painting was an exercise for creating reflections on water. I modified the lesson slightly adding a few objects. Unfortunately, I was not pleased with this from the start. First, I had to completely trash the first attempt and by the time I had worked in the under painting for the trees and brush I was about ready to trash it again. But I pressed on, the lesson being about reflections not the trees. I worked in the highlights and detail improving the painting quite a bit more than I expected. I still didn't like the way the cypress tree looked. One of the things they say is don't get fussy over details so, I got fussy with that tree and finally got it to a "good enough" level.

But I learned a lot from this, which is the point. I used to tell my students that you don't learn anything if you do it right the first time. You learn when you make and correct your mistakes. I had a few on this one. Next time I might try my own composition, maybe on a canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment